Monday, May 22, 2006

Just sign here ... and here ... and on and on

No sports today. It was a sports-free Monday. Yeah, I know, tough to comprehend. But very true. I was much too busy to worry about sports today.

This morning Elizabeth and I signed our life away -- finally closing on our 3-bedroom, 1,900-square foot cottage house in the Garden District of downtown Alexandria. So now we own a house. Or more accurately we owe our mortgage company for the next 30 years for the privilege of living in the house we might one day actually be able to call completely our own.

It was a whirlwind day -- taking care of tons of things that must be done when moving and buying a house. Elizabeth starts painting tomorrow -- the living room and the den. We chose the colors and bought the paint today. I'm very pleased, and very excited.

There is still much work to be done before the big move this weekend. Some day, I keep telling myself, we will be able to relax a little bit and breathe. No, the work won't be over. Who knows if it ever will. There are so many things we'd like to do with our first home. So many dreams. So little time.

For now, I can just exhale and soak in the full (scary, yet exciting) understanding of the fact that Elizabeth and I are now homeowners.

2 comments:

RebeccaMcCormick said...

Awwww...No kidding, this one brought a tear to my eye. We are so excited for the two of you. Thanks for sharing.

Go, Blogger Boy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Son.....glad, happy and elated that you have grown so responsibly in joining the real working and home ownership world! I'm happy for you and Elizabeth. Now you get to go and buy a lawn mower to cut the grass since it's summertime!!!