Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day

Today is Father's Day, and I'd like to send a congratulations to the three men in my life.

To my Dad -- Every day I admire you more and more. As I grow older, I see some of your great qualities coming out in me. In fact, I feel like I am becoming more and more like you every day. Although for the majority of my life I didn't live with you, there is something strange about genetics because I have seemed to pick up many of your traits. As I've started my career and my family, I understand and appreciate many of the sacrifices you made at a young age for the sake of your family. You have constantly shown me love and support, and I am forever grateful for that. I hope you have a wonderful Father's Day.

To Mr. Kyle -- I owe you a great deal because you brought stability into my mother's life. After bouncing around more than a pinball as a youngster, you showed up and brought a peace and comfort to my life. Best of all, you treated my mother like she needed to be treated. You have shown me what it means to be patient and content. You are slow to anger and quick to listen. The best part of all, you treated me like the son you never had, meaning I had two Godly men in my life to look up to and strive to impress. Thank you.

To Mr. Raymond -- The newest father figure in my life. A patient, kind man. Also one who works very hard and is very family-oriented. Those are qualities I want to have. You have shown me how to do projects around the house, and even when I'm not provided much help at all, you have let me believe I'm valuable, while also taking time to teach. I've learned many things from you in a short time, and I hope to learn many more through the years. Most importantly, though, you are my wife's father -- someone she looks up to and expects me to emulate. Therefore, you provide me with the perfect blueprint of how to be a husband. I can only hope I live up to your high standard. Happy Father's Day.

To all the fathers out there, and eventual fathers, enjoy this day. It is one where you are celebrated. Despite what our culture shows up, not all men are dead-beats. Fathers still play a vital role in their child's lives. And a special happy father's day to my brother, Heath, who is celebrating his second father's day. I love you brother. And I see how much you love your son. If I am blessed one day to have a child, I can only hope I will have that same pure, unconditional love that you show Connor. Always remember to put him first. Love you.

No comments: