Friday, June 02, 2006

It's not all about me

OK, for the past couple of weeks or so, I feel like all I've been talking about is me, me, me. Sometimes I get so busy that I forget to slow down and talk about other people besides myself. So that's what the majority of this post will be about -- you guys, the people who make up my life.

For the next, oh, 16 years or so this time of the year will be about one thing -- nephews. I've got three of them, and they all have birthdays in May or June. Connor, my brother's son, saw that milestone known as his first birthday last month. This past weekend was his birthday party, which because of the move and the new schedule, I was unable to attend. I did want to send out a belated shoutout to my boy, though. Caleb, my eldest brother-in-law's son, turned 2 years old yesterday, while Thomas, my other brother-in-law's son, will be 2 on June 30. Happy birthday to all!

There's also another celebration occasion in the McCormick household this weekend. In case you've forgotten -- June 4, that would be Sunday, is my anniversary. It's hard to believe it's been a year already, and at the same time that year has flown by so fast. So much has changed since we both said "I Do" in Pineville on that blazing hot summer day last year. I never would have guessed that one year later I'd be living in my own home across the river and working at The Town Talk. It's funny how life throws curveballs at you.

Another reason to celebrate: today was a big day for my boy, Grant Terry, who signed to play college baseball at Northeast Texas Community College. Terry will join two of his former Ruston High teammates, Cole Bishop and Turner Brasher, at NTCC. Just for the record, both Terry and Brasher are looking up at me in the standings of our fantasy baseball league.

For those of you who don't know my story with Grant, who I know simply as GT, here it is. I saw the kid around a lot during his first two years at Ruston High. He just, like me at his age, went to a lot of sporting events. Since I covered sports for The Leader, we talked about sports, naturally. Gradually, our conversations turned into friendship. And I'm proud today to call Grant a friend.

I'm very proud of him. Here's a kid who didn't play varsity baseball until his senior year. He could have easily quit, much like I did when I was his age. But he stuck with it. Due to his work ethic, he took an athletically limited body and improved himself to become a college athlete. Hopefully with continued work, he'll be wearing a Bulldog baseball uniform in two seasons. Congrats, kid.

My stepbrother, Wayne West, is getting married in a week. Less than a week now. Read more about it here.

Things are going well around the house. It's still a mess, just not quite as big of one as it was yesterday. I mowed my yard for the first time this morning. Not too much work. I've also edged about half the front yard, the rest I will finish Saturday morning. Now that was a lot of work. I can tell it hasn't been edged in quite some time. But when it's all said and done, the yard will look very good. And I will be able to keep up with it, so it won't require quite as much work next time.

Good news, since we're in that kind of mood tonight. Elizabeth got a job! She'll start working Monday at Sabine State Bank here in Alexandria. She will be able to build upon her experience at Community Trust Bank in Ruston.

Quick hits

Peace out Pistons. You got demolished by Miami.

Jon Papelbon is now 20-for-20 on save opportunities, extending his rookie record. The kid is simply lights-out right now with a 0.32 ERA.

Very interesting story on Adam Morrison by ESPN.com's Andy Katz. Katz, by the way, has always been one of my idols. He, along with John Feinstein and Mitch Albom, is perhaps my favorite sportswriter.

Speaking of the NBA Draft, things aren't looking very good for Louisiana Tech's Paul Millsap, who has fallen out of the first round in this latest mock draft.

Does anyone actually think Lance, or any athlete, is clean today?

Who is this Ryan Howard cat? Hit his 19th bomb Friday night.

Bonds Watch: No news due to rain. Next up: doubleheader on Saturday. Here's a bold prediction: Bonds will sit out the second game.

What's up with Frank Thomas? Guy is hitting .230 with 36 hits. 13 of them are dingers.

Can the D-League survive? It would certainly help the NBA to have a bonafide developmental league.

I'm planning a big blog on the World Cup, which starts next week. Most likely, I'll post it on Monday. Just a heads up, my first byline and column will appear next week. Both are on the World Cup.

No comments: