Sunday, January 31, 2010

Going to the 'Big D' ...

For the past couple of years, I've gotten into an almost weekly bonding exercise with my in-laws. Every Sunday evening (except for the six months that I was stuck in Texas purgatory) E-beth and I cross the river to have supper at her parents and watch the PBR.

(Note: Those of you who know me -- and if you're reading this blog, then you obviously know me -- can testify that I am not a cowboy. I am not a bullrider. It's safe to say that I wouldn't exactly fit in very well behind the scenes of the Professional Bull Riders tour.)

My in-laws have been following the PBR for quite a few years, and I don't remember when exactly, but I casually began watching it with them on Sunday nights. Those casual viewings eventually turned to something more than casual. Don't get me wrong: I am by no means a fanatic, and I can certainly survive without the PBR. But I have come to enjoy it, honestly.

Like many other sports that I watch, I know the athletes. I'm not exactly sure if that's the right word. After all, most of these guys are shorter than I am, and certainly are much more crazy than I am, but you have to have some type of athleticism to continue taking the constant pounding that they take every single weekend. That's something I can respect. But it's not just the riders. I know the bulls too. Just as easily as I can point out Kody Lostroh, J.B. Mauney, Guillerme Marchi and Travis Briscoe, I can tell you all about Bones, Code Blue and Chicken on a Chain. Don't ask. I can't explain it.

I've been to a couple of the smaller events -- the PBR has its top tour, the Built Ford Tough Series, as well as a couple of minor leagues similar to baseball where young up-and-comers and older retreads attempting for one more shot at the show battle it out -- in Monroe and in Kinder (which I actually covered for the paper I work at). But I haven't been to a BFTS event, although that's going to change this month.

For my birthday, my in-laws bought me two tickets (one for me and a "friend" who they happened to assume -- wisely -- would be their daughter) to my first BFTS show. It also will be my first trip to the new Cowboys Stadium, when the PBR invades for a unique one-day event, the Iron Cowboy Invitational, which will be a little different than most events. Usually, the riders will compete for either two or three rounds, with the top 15 riders returning for a final round to determine a champion. It's usually a Friday-Sunday or Saturday/Sunday event.

The Iron Cowboy Invitational, however, is a one-day event which will pay the winner about $250,000. The top 24 riders -- the top eight in last year's standings, as well as the highest 16 in this year's standings as of last night -- will compete in a bracket-style competition against the best bulls on tour. It's the best riders vs. the best bulls -- a PBR fan's dream. I'm honestly very excited about it, but I'm even more excited about getting to watch it in Cowboys Stadium with that massive jumbotron!

2 comments:

misti said...

This was hilarious...I think I need to hear more about Chicken on a Chain.

I dragged Alan to the Houston rodeo while we lived there. He actually enjoyed it too, although he was embarrassed of me the whole time...I cheer for the cows.

E-beth said...

Where's the blog about Ryley???? She wants her own blog