Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Entering rehab

Yesterday, I started my first day of rehab. No, not the kind of rehab that Hollywood starlets and sports superstars enter because they can't stay clean of their drug and alcohol habits. My rehab is because I can't keep my body shape clean. I'm not fit -- not in the least bit. As I've touched on before, the scale (if it isn't lying to me) doesn't say I've gained weight. It's just shifted a good bit. My arms are flabby, my gut is protuding a good bit more than it used to, and my legs are thicker (and not because I've gained muscle). So I've recomitted to working out, for about the 50th time in my life. But I'm serious this time. I just don't feel good. Sluggish. Lethargic. I don't want to feel like that. I'm only 24 years old. If I'm a pro athlete (which I'm certainly not), I haven't even hit my prime yet. It's not supposed to start going downhill till after I cross the big 3-0. Right now, a gym membership is out of the question. So I'll be walking and jogging to start off with, as well as doing crunches and pushups. Hopefully, that will slowly help me redefine my body shape.

Elizabeth and I went to see Cars last night. Very funny stuff. Love Owen Wilson. He's stupid, but he makes me laugh. And Larry the Cable Guy is a classic. The movie was a great parody of Nascar. But what's best about Pixar movies is they are funny, very well-written, but they also touch on family values, and do it in a way that children and adults are both interested. Over the Hedge was good. Cars was even better. As Elizabeth said as we left the theater, "That one is a buy."

I enjoy the summer for many reasons, one of which is the fact that many of the year's blockbusters are coming out in theaters. After not going to see a movie in months, Elizabeth and I have seen three very good movies in the past couple of weeks. First Over the Hedge, followed by Superman Returns, and now Cars. And we haven't even checked out Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest yet. We'll probably wait to rent The Devil Wears Prada, The Lake House and The Break-up. Upcoming movies that I'm looking forward to are You, Me and Dupree, Clerks II (though I'll probably wait until video and try to rent both the original and the new one), Miami Vice, and Talladega Nights: The Leged of Ricky Bobby.

No comments: