Sunday, December 06, 2020

Day 2 of Isolation ... or a pretty typical Sunday

Today wasn’t exactly what I expected, and I mean that in a good way. I’ve heard many people describe their Covid situations as asymptomatic or having very mild symptoms. I would say I fall in the second category. I can’t describe myself as asymptomatic, obviously, because running a fever during the middle of the night that caused me to go get tested was obviously a symptom. But that fever is gone. It’s been gone for more than 24 hours. I sneezed once today, and I’m coughing up some stuff occasionally. Other than that, I feel fine. I don’t feel sick.


I’ve talked to several friends who have previously dealt with Covid and another who is going through it right now, and they have told me that typically days four through six are the worst. My friend who is battling Covid right now said that days three and four were bad for him. He called me today, and he sounded like he has been going through the ringer. So I know I’m not out of the woods. Covid is no joke, and it can beat me down any day now. Right now, I’m just trying to take my three medicines that have been prescribed to me, keep a steady dose of ibuprofen to try to keep any fever away, drink my Emergen-C nightly, and relax as much as possible.


My personal chef delivered me two bagels with eggs, bacon and hashbrowns this morning for breakfast, and we had an early supper from Chili’s that was delivered by Door Dash thanks to the generosity of an old friend who sent me a coupon. He’s not the type who wants acknowledgement, so I’ll keep his name out of it, but I told him how much I appreciated the gesture. It was unexpected, but knowing his character, it was not surprising at all. I’ve had so many people respond to my previous post on Facebook wishing me and Elizabeth well, and I really appreciate the well-wishes. Truly, I do. So far, things are going about as well as either of us could have expected.


I don’t have a TV in my isolation chamber, but I’m learning more and more about streaming online. I don’t have Netflix or Hulu or many of the other streaming services, mostly because we invested in a Tivo years ago and that continues to serve us well. I have streamed some shows online through the years when something happened such as a power outage that caused me to miss a show, but I really don’t watch much online programming. That changed today. I was able to stream the Saints-Falcons game as well as the Tech-LSU basketball game. The good guys won the football game, but the bad guys got the blowout win in basketball. Still, it was nice to be able to watch the games on my laptop. That gives me more options moving forward as I remain in a TV-less isolation. Who knows, maybe I’ll subscribe to Netflix before this thing is all said and done!


Tomorrow will be a weird day for me as school goes on without me. It’s not unusual for me to miss a day here or there. I’ve never been one of those “perfect-attendance” students or teachers. When you officiate as much basketball as I do, including games out of state, there are times when it’s just impossible not to miss. But I don’t typically miss often and extremely rarely multiple days in a row. But the show must go on, right? I’m planning to hold regular office hours throughout the day so I can be available to my students via email or Google Classroom, and hopefully I can use this down time to catch up on some of the grading that I’ve fallen behind on. Plus, we are putting out a newspaper this week, and that’s a big deal for me and my Publications students. It won’t be our traditional setup, but we will get it done!

No comments: